Tuesday, October 6, 2009

On Losing: A Personal Essay

By Matt Crosby

The great thing about having composition teachers like Professor Snotbubbles in your fantasy league is that they remind you what's really important: things like the personal "I" and letting your own inner light shine for the world. Thank you, Greg. Here goes nothing.

As I sat in front of my parents' computer screen in Salt Lake City--the sounds of children's raucous play all around me and the smells of mom's Navajo Tacos filling the air--I watched Dave's last minute San Francisco Team Defense pick-up score 39 points. It filled me with many interesting personal questions.

Will Tony Romo ever throw another touchdown pass? Is Santonio Holmes mildly retarded? Was Patriots Team Defense the worst pick I've ever made in a fantasy draft? What does it mean, really, this personal journey through another season of fantasy football? What does it mean to coach? What does it mean to be two-and-two? What does it mean to lose? Is losing really just the ultimate form of winning? Is death that which gives meaning to life? Am I a monster?

Okay, sorry Greg. I gave it my best shot. I'm going back to writing third person news stories.

1 comment:

Chaka Khan said...

Your first person words have touched my funky soul. And now that we have explored our personal selves sufficiently, let us press forward in third.