Tuesday, October 6, 2009

On Winning: A Counterpoint to 'On Losing,' in the First Person"



Dear self, and those interested in my personal reflections,

As I look back and try to figure out whether it was a good idea to smash an empty Yoo-Hoo bottle over my pastor's head and shriek my name in his face for suggesting that speaking in the third person was indeed juvenile, and that 4-0 does not equal perfection, I wonder whether it was all worth it, losing my Yoo-Hoo sponsorship royalties and privileges just to prove a point to the congregation.  I can't help but think and feel deep down that maybe the good pastor was right: that referring to myself as Chaka Khan right up in people's grills while wagging my finger could in fact be childish, and that although I am perfect on the Fantasy Gridiron, maybe I'm not perfect as a human being; or even as the queen of funk and soul.  These notions now leave me in deep thought, questioning, wearing only my bra while engulfed in a blue aura.

I ask myself.  What does it really mean to be perfect?  Even though it appears that I may be the only perfect person -- if there is such thing -- are there others?  Am I only perfect because Amanda Bennett, Snotbubbles, and The Dozers each collectively laid an egg?  Can The Dozers continue to overhaul their entire roster on a weekly basis and form any sort of team chemistry?  Because Bartolo Gigante has scored 14 more points than me, does that make him 3-4 points more perfect than me on a weekly basis?  Does Whitney Houston sing every single one of my songs better than I do?  Would I have won any Grammy's performing under my birth name Yvette?  Is it possible for me to have bastard children considering there are years of my life I have no memory of?  Is Crosby a monster?

Thank you.

Chaka Khan


3 comments:

Matt said...

That was beautiful. Soul wrenching.

Amanda said...

Your inquiries really spoke to me.

No Diggity, No Dozer said...

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it's broke, as my team is, reckon I like to fix it.